Thursday, August 5, 2010

Crowded House 101


This post is primarily intended to get my wife up to speed on the music of Crowded House -- since she's graciously agreed to accompany me to their concert later this month.  She has no idea who they are.
  This is understandable, since they only had two big hits in America...way back in 1987 (when Melis' was just getting into gangsta rap, I suppose).  If you ever listen to an 80's radio station, or even pay attention to the background music playing at the grocery store, you may still hear "Don't Dream It's Over" (Click to listen) or "Something So Strong" ().

Back in their native New Zealand and Australia, however, Crowded House was the biggest thing since The Beatles.  I suppose pop music never came up during Melissa's missionary labors in Queensland.  Otherwise, she would have learned that the group drew around 200,000 people to a 1996 concert outside the Sydney Opera House.  A recording of the event made for an awesome album (link opens a new window where you can have a listen -- tracks 2, 3, 7, 10, and 11 are among my favorite CH songs).

The group is led by Neil Finn on vocals, lead guitar, and occasional keyboards. He's often praised for his songwriting, but I don't really know what he's singing about most the time.  I'm more impressed with the melodies he comes up with.  A Crowded House song can be light and upbeat like their two American hits; it can also be funky like "Instinct" () and "Whispers and Moans" (Track 7 at the link above), or it can even be vaguely melancholy like "Pour le Monde" () and "Silent House" (), which Neil wrote with the Dixie Chicks.  Whatever the mood, Neil has a talent for making music that is melodically interesting.  "Saturday Sun" () is the first release off the group's latest album.  The album version is a nice little pop song, though a touch overcooked.  The live version -- with Neil on a 12-string electric guitar -- is much better.


This video brings up one last subject I wish to raise. Crowded House fans all over the world have expressed disdain for Neil's new mustache.  An Irish newspaper man referred to it simply as "lamentable."  There's even a Facebook page for people who care to make light of it.  I think it makes him look like Steve Martin's ill-conceived version of Inspector Clouseau.  But, alas, Neil likes it and has no intention of shaving it.  I just wanted to prepare you for it ahead of time -- it's OK to laugh.

Melis', please take heart if you don't end up liking Crowded House as much as your husband.  Keep in mind that even if you think the music sucks, you still get to spend an evening under the stars with a ruggedly handsome man who doesn't smell like lady-scented body wash.  I appreciate that you're willing to come with me.

3 comments:

doodooguru said...

sshhhhh! don't talk, I am busy clicking all these triangles! Your HTML code skilz are wicked honey pants.

Wait a minute there were other radio stations besides KWHT in Pendleton?

Even though I didn't jump on the Crowed House wagon in 1987, I was probably listening to unknown artists like Randy Travis or George Strait, I am looking forward to kick'n it with you that evening.

David Nall said...

Travis,

Neil Finn in the video reminded me of Sean Penn and his bad mustache.

http://stupidcelebrities.net/wp-content/sean-penn-robin-split.jpg

While speaking of Sean Penn, how did he land the Princess Bride then couldn't hang on to her? Maybe she finally came to her senses.

I have the Crowded House album on cassette. Purchased it when the album came out.

By the way, I think we both did much better than Sean Penn.

Travis said...

Sean Penn, and his mustache, are stupid. Princess Buttercup is better off without them both.

You had Crowded House on tape?! Is that how you wooed Kim? I'm pretty sure I could have got Melis' to go out with me more in high school if I simply made her a mix tape of Randy Travis and the Beastie Boys.

Oh well, it all worked out for everyone in the end -- except for Sean Penn and his stupid mustache!

Post a Comment