Tuesday, January 3, 2012

First Tee

Happy New Year!

Melissa Dearest gave me the gift of golf for Christmas -- a pre-paid gift card at a local golf course.  I've always favored this particular golf course for its covered driving range -- it's pretty nice.

After finishing work this afternoon, I invited Karsten and Taegan to join me on the range.  They eagerly accepted and grabbed Karst's clubs.  He only has two -- but that technically still qualifies as "clubs."  Taeg' had never swung a golf club at an actual golf ball before -- so she was particularly excited.

Our excitement turned to disappointment, however, upon pulling into the empty clubhouse parking lot and seeing a sign announcing that the whole facility was closed for the holidays.  Argh!


Undeterred, I drove a short distance to a sporting goods store and purchased a dozen plastic wiffle-style golf balls.  My dad gave me similar equipment  when I was just starting out in the game as a youngster.  They don't go very far no matter how hard you hit them -- so they're easy to retrieve.  Plus, it's almost impossible to cause bodily harm or property damage with an errant shot.

When we pulled into the driveway, we grabbed our clubs and made our way directly to the back yard.  I made some rudimentary tee boxes with some orange cones and directed everyone's line of fire toward our large earthen hillside.  I provided some quick instruction and then invited them to swing away.

Langy joined us after awakening from his afternoon nap.  This created a problem, since we had only two kid-sized golf clubs for three kid-sized golfers.  Taeg' waited patiently for her turn.  Langy, on the other hand, needs to listen to The Sharing Song (push to listen) a few hundred more times.  The concept still eludes him.

Taeg' ultimately got some good shots off, hopefully she'll keep practicing.  Karsten has been golfing before, but his swing showed a lot of rust.  It probably didn't help that he's grown about a foot since he was fitted for clubs.  Taeg' stands to inherit his sticks very soon.

I'm looking forward to getting all of these guys out on the course someday soon.

1 comment:

Teresa's Neighbor said...

Yes, you must invest in one more club. No wait, two more. And you may as well get Melissa one also. And golf gloves. And a golf cart. And new bags for everybody. And maybe one of those GPS thingies for golfers. And golf shorts. And shoes.

Post a Comment