Saturday, June 19, 2010

The life aquatic with Lang' Stoddard

Update: Shelly posted some more photos from our week at the beach.

This week, Lang' ventured into the Pacific for the first time.  At five months old, he's kind of a tough interview -- but judging from the feral cat sounds he was making, I think he enjoyed it quite a bit.
The Stoddard clan decided to rent a large beach house this year to accommodate our increased size.  We all came away very impressed.

From the deck overlooking the sea, Taeg' and I scanned the ocean for migrating whales.  More accurately, I scanned the ocean, Taeg' scanned the neighbors' bathroom window.  Neither of us discovered any whales, but we still enjoyed the view.

Down on the beach, Karst' set out to construct "a very tall mountain" -- but he abandoned the project at about 18 inches.  He apparently understands geologic time and appreciates the fact that very tall mountains generally rise very slowly.

Not surprisingly, Taeg' embraced the beach...literally.  Her high-pitched giggling and squeals could be heard above the din of crashing waves.  She loved leading her parents into the breaking surf until the freezing water washed over us.

Safely perched above the chaos, Lang' enjoyed watching us get soaked.  Melis' and I may appear to be enjoying ourselves, but we really can't feel our lower extremities.

Karst' is a wiser man than I.  While we froze our tootsies off in the sea, Karst' luxuriated next to a crackling wood fire and waited for his elderly man servant (Grandpa Dave) to prepare the boy's sixth or seventh s'more.

I eventually convinced Karst' to leave his comfy chair and join me for a toe-tingling dip.

Lang' just looked on.  I can't tell if this is a wistful expression ("I wish I could play in the ocean too") or if he's simply wondering "Why are these crazy people standing in frigid water when there's a perfectly good hot tub back at the beach house."

In time we'll find out if Lang' is a child of nature like his sister, or if he'll be joining his civilized older brother for s'mores by the fire.  In any event, he seemed to enjoy his first experience on the Oregon coast.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

It looks like you had tons of fun. We have forgotten what an actual sandy beach looks like. Barnicles is all we see near the water which is okay as long as you don't want to go barefoot.

Leslie said...

That would be barnacles.

shelly said...

I hope he's another child of nature. Children of nature are quite entertaining to us adults =)

mamabull said...

This was a great write-up of your trip and that house looked awesome! Its totally worth it.. the hypothermia... to fully enjoy the Oregon coast at its finest ;)

Jean McKendrick said...

Glad you had a lovely time at the beach and no whales were spotted in the neighboring bathroom window. It's crazy for me to see you in the ocean in long sleeve shirts when we are sweating to death out here. We are lucky if we go to the ocean and it's cool enough to cool us off this time of year.

Post a Comment