Saturday, August 14, 2010

Steppin' out

Our family enjoys the outdoors.  How we enjoy the outdoors is a question of taste.  Melissa and Taeg' enjoy being in the outdoors -- camping under the stars, hiking a woodland trail, experiencing the sensation of small insects flying around their faces.  Karst' and I, on the other hand, enjoy observing the outdoors from the air conditioned comfort of the indoors.  Like the female-type people in our family, we are inspired by mountain vistas and Pacific sunsets.  We just believe the beauty of creation goes best with a big bowl of ice cream we just got from the freezer.

Our disparate notions of "roughin' it" are frequently resolved via reasonable compromise.
S'mores

We all agree that an afternoon at Amazon Park is a perfectly acceptable outdoor activity on a warm summer day.
The kids pretended they were on an episode of Wipeout -- trying to maintain their balance on a wildly-shifting obstacle.  Much respect to their photographer mother for snapping a semi-discernible image of them on a rapidly spinning merry-go-round.

We're all curious what Lang's stance will be on important outdoor issues, such as the propriety of people sleeping in bags or going more than 24 hours without bathing.  As we are equally divided on whether to camp in a tent or a mountain lodge with electricity and indoor plumbing -- he will likely be the deciding vote.

Ah, but what's this?
Perhaps he's a car camper.

6 comments:

doodooguru said...

Even though he says DADADADADADA, I know he loves his mother's 'wilde' side. Bring on the tents and bugs next summer cuz we are going to hike to a seclude spot 20 billion feet up from something and roll around in the mud. Don't worry Travis we will hike back down and come rescue you from the Comfort Inn after the breakfast buffet is over and make you a s'more in the oven so you wont starve!

Leslie said...

I would agree with Melissa on this one. Nothing like camping up at a high lake somewhere. You can actually breathe up there. I love the picture of Langdon.

Teresa's Neighbor said...

Oh yes, camping is great.... FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Jean McKendrick said...

I am thinking a lodge with a big bowl of ice cream looking at nature through the glass is good! You can always open the window if you want fresh air right?! I am all about the showers and electricity!
CUTE picture of the baby!! Photo contest shot.

Lauren said...

I love Langdon's knees!

Reader said...

I agree with Lauren I love Langdon's knees, he's such a cutie! Okay now for the truth...it doesn't really matter if Lang is the tie breaker vote we all know that Melissa is going to win the battle and Travis will be spraying on bug spray while she puts up the tent ;) love you guys~

Post a Comment