Nature's full of temporary oddities. For example, the orbit of Pluto (which is still a planet dangit!) brings it inside the orbit of Neptune for a 20-year period every 248 years. This temporarily leaves Neptune as the planet farthest from the sun. Closer to home, every summer for a 2-month period, Melissa can honestly say her age is one year less than her husband. That ends today!
Melissa recently indicated that she's been feeling old. Karsten is preparing to begin kindergarten next month and has received his first visit from the tooth fairy. Taegan can now bowl over 100 on Wii Sports. Langdon has been recently spotted rocking back-and-forth ponderously on all fours. As children grow, I suppose it's natural for their parents to marvel at how fast time flies.
I can still vaguely recall when I awkwardly called up Melis' back when I was a junior at Pendleton High to ask her to attend the Fall Homecoming dance with me. We had never dated before, but I always thought she was pretty cool. After all, she was a multi-sport varsity athlete, she had a great sense of humor, and she was (ahem) very easy on the eyes. I was extremely pleased when she agreed to an evening of dinner and dancing with me.
I remember dropping Melis off at her parent's home at the end of the evening. My mind debated whether to go in for a quick hug or (gulp!) a peck on the cheek. Ultimately, I totally chickened out and offered my hand for a firm handshake(!) Like I said, I was awkward. It was the last date we would share for several years.
Fast forward 18 years. I admit I remain a little awkward, but at least I don't shake her hand anymore. She is still very easy on the eyes, and I'm still extremely pleased to be around her.
Happy Birthday dearest.
After the last two months, isn't it great to be married to a guy your own age?

6 comments:
Happy Birthday to Melissa! M and I were always the youngest in our class, it made me feel not so alone in my no dating and no driving days. I remember when you went to homecoming together...who knew that was just the beginning...Yay for you guys!
Happy Birthday Melissa! What a fun dance picture. I didn't realize you guys went out in high school at all. Maybe you should share the full dating/falling in love story one of these blog posts.
Travis, glad you were able to surpass the awkward hand shaking stage. :)
Awww, how cute. Happy birthday Melissa, you don't look like you've aged a day since homecoming. :P
Ah ha ha ha! The awkward handshake. Luckily, I have a bad memory, because I know I was much much bazillion times more awkward than you, Travis. My bad memory is a kind gift to me so I don't have to relive anything past an hour ago.
Anyway, Happy Birthday Melissa!!
Your kids are waaaay too young for you to feel old.
And a hearty congratulations to little Taegen bowling over 100!! We better get practicing.
HOpe you have had a good day Melissa. You are not old (yet).
Love the picture! Hope your birthday was wonderful.
Post a Comment