Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cowboys like us

Melissa and I come from Pendleton, Oregon.  When the topic of hometowns comes up here in the Willamette Valley, people often remark, "Oh, I drove through Pendleton once on the way to...."  I suppose we're fortunate that I-84 runs through the place, otherwise a lot of people would have no reason to see it at all.  It's relatively quiet, except during the second week of September -- that's when the rodeo comes to town.

If you don't mind some appropriate theme music from Mr. Strait while you read, please click play ()


We've lived in places that host annual rodeo events, but they all just pale in comparison to the Pendleton Round-Up.  I can't imagine Eugene shutting down all public schools on account of a rodeo -- but that's exactly what Pendleton does every year.  For the entire week.  The town's human, equine, and bovine population swells as it transforms into a curious mix of The Old West and The Nashville Network.  It's kind of a big deal.

This year the Round-Up turns 100 years old.  The centennial edition has received some added attention in the media -- the photos posted here are all from the Oregonian's website.  Melissa and I recently enjoyed the documentary on public television that explained the Round-Up's origins and history.  It brought back a lot of memories.  We both attended the rodeo every year when we were young.  I was even one the Boy Scout ushers in the North Grandstand for a few years.  No less than 3 of my elementary school teachers have their portraits hanging in the Round-Up Hall of Fame as former Round-Up royalty.  Our high school mascot: The Buckaroos.  Go Bucks!

As I looked at these pictures, I admit that I regret not being able to be there.  I'm no cowboy -- not even a pretend one.  But it was still fun to watch guys get sent flailing from a bucking horse, or to watch an angry Brahma bull try to take a rodeo clown's head off.  I marveled at how far a steer wrestler could twist the beast's head around before it finally decided to just assume a supine position.


Pendleton may be generally known as a good place to gas up the car while on your way to somewhere else, but it has a charm that is not fully appreciated in passing.

5 comments:

shelly said...

Travis, this is so sweet. I like the music, too!

Jean McKendrick said...

I totally missed being at the Round Up this year! I liked dressing my kids up like little cowboys and putting a pair of boots on myself. I would LOVE to go again some day if we live closer. Unfortunately my kids don't get the week off school like their cousins and I don't think that would be an excused absence. :)

jessica said...

I am having regrets not attending the 100th year myself. It's part of our blood whether we like it or not. I refused to listen to Kwheat growing up, I never owned a pair of wranglers or Ropers but oh did I love the Round Up!

Lauren said...

I haven't been to the round up, but I am at least not guilty of just passing though. We did one of the underground tours one year on a family vacation.

mamabull said...

The Round Up was awesome this year.. only complaint was missing you guys in the hospitality building by like seconds! :( I went on a Stoddard/Wood hunt but alas was unsuccessful. Hope to see you all very soon!

Post a Comment