Monday, October 11, 2010

1/3

Travis and I had temporarily put home improvement projects on hold, but we forgot to send the memo to our neighbors.  They wanted the fence between us fixed.  These people are a nice older couple a few years from retirement, that treat our kids well.  This is the only picture i could find of the said fence.  It was probably the best section, but you get the idea.


Neighbor guy first wanted to just repair sections, so we started to take down sections.  We then realized that it was just better to take it all down.  In the words of neighbor guy, "this is the last time I want to work on this fence, I am not moving and it needs to last until they haul me out of here."  We both agreed that we didn't want to fork out the dough to pay someone to do it.  So he worked up some numbers and we went to work.

Well Travis, the kids, and I went to work on the fence, neighbor guy went to his cushy dentistry job.  We tore down the 120' of fencing pretty fast. The next weekend we had someone cut down a tree between our properties. One Saturday, we rented a gas powered post hole auger for the 25 holes and set the posts.  I believe that was the hardest part of the project.  The 3rd week, I purchased lumber and the kids and I worked on it every moment we could.  I literally would just drop my tools on the ground and go pick up Karsten from school covered in sawdust with Taegan and Langdon in tow, then get back to work after we ate lunch.

We are proud to introduce the great cedar wall.




We made a section completely removable so when we are ready to re-landscape I can fit a truck/tractor in the back yard.  We bumped the fence along the side of our house towards the front lawn so our back yard would be much bigger.  During the project every wildlife creature used our backyard and Karsten dubbed it 'the poop desert'.

We are grateful to have privacy again.  I was grateful for a project and my Dad's staple gun.

I love the smell of cedar.  The fence is really nice.  Now it makes the rest of our property and house an eye sore.  Next year we will get the tractor back there.

And as a side note, I purchased the lumber, concrete, tool rentals etc and came in half of what neighbor guy's estimated for wood alone was.  Thank you Dad for giving me the understanding and desire to work and do it right, thank you Mom for teaching me to reuse and get the best price, even if I needed to go to the slums to find awesome cedar.

p.s. we still have 2/3 of the fence left around the rest of our property to do... next year!?!  Right other old neighbor guy?!

6 comments:

Jean McKendrick said...

Looks great! Matt and I put a fence around our property in UT when we built the house. It is amazing how much money you can save by shopping around and doing the manual labor yourself! I would totally shop in the slums to get a good deal.
That's A LOT of fence, wow! You charged your dentist neighbor your labor cost right, or at least negotiated teeth cleanings until he retires AND any orthodontics should your kids require any.

Lauren said...

Your superwoman talents amaze me yet again.

Jenny Erazo said...

WOW! You are amazing! Yes, I did type/say MAN ALIVE.....not really sure what it means but it just felt right:)

shelly said...

It is beautiful and I can imagine it's lovely smell, too! You are amazing!

mamabull said...

Simply amazing! however I'd like to know if you guys are raising wild turkeys on the side? Are they available for Turkey Day? ;) Melis I am truly amazed by you, Travis and your family.. proud deep in my heart <3

jessica said...

We've done two fences, together they about as big as the portion you just did. You ROCKED that fecne, it looks awesome! Every time I see one of your projects I wish we lived by each other so that we could work/play together...Next week I am doing a mantle makeover for a girl I visit teach. That is how I roll with my VTing, forget the message I will do a project for you!

Post a Comment