Monday, February 14, 2011

$3.45

Travis and I have both agreed that we need to blog about something, but we don't have anything entertaining going on.  I have decided to push through this lameness and share our goings on with you anyway.  This post will probably be boring and contain TMI, get over it.

As of 1:08pm, today, we have $3.45. That includes any spare change that I found in my jacket and under the sofa cushion.  I am not sad about this, but it will make for some interesting meals since our fridge and pantry are close to bare.

For lunch, we had some frozen corn and saltines with melted cheese on top.  I didn't think anything of it until Karsten commented, "why is this bowl of corn sitting in front of me".  Maybe I should have sprinkled some parsley on it to make it seem like a meal!  He is becoming more like his Dad every day.  I am not a foodie and hate to cook.  wish my family luck.

Travis' car has been in the shop for 4 months.  There is less than a 35% chance (I totally made up that stat, but that is what it feels like to me) that the new part will work and we can actually drive the car home this week.

 My truck has started to do interesting things, like accelerate when my foot is on the brake.  Today, I heard a strange knocking sound when I was stopped at a traffic light.  I will give her the day off tomorrow.

I recently read a book about a previous president.  I would tell you the name of it but I forgot and the book is downstairs.  The book was not my favorite, but I finished it.  Thanks, Mom.  Maybe it is because i don't like to read books!, but i found some parts very discouraging. I realized that a President's job sucks.  No matter what decision they make; someone will think it was bad.  It is amazing that people want that job.  I am glad we have good people in this country willing to stick their necks out.  It kinda motivated me to get in touch of my political side.

Karsten has been doing extra chores so he can earn money for some legos.  Today, he finally earned enough.  On our way back from the toy store I heard him say "this is the best Valentine's Day ever", so I ate his box of chocolates that I got for him.  I didn't want to ruin his day!  Taeg' prefers to save her money, but when she saw Karsten headed out to the store she wanted to bring her money too.  She found a toy that was $5 (she was sure not to spend all her money) and when she got to the counter it was discounted to $1.  She was so happy when the cashier handed her $4 back.  She loves to shop, but that girl can just look for hours.


Langdon has decided that walking is just too easy.  We are waiting for that little light bulb to come on that tells him "crawling is way too hard on my knees, or even more difficult when I need to carry a toy around".  But he still continues to crawl around on one elbow and his knees so he can hold his precious toy that he stole from Karsten and Teagan.

Travis has been working any overtime that he can find and I have been working as much as I can without totally neglecting our offspring.  We decided to payoff our student loan early.  It will be nice when it is gone.  But I have to admit, sometimes I just want to go to target and buy a shirt so I can have one without a stain.

I should clarify.  We are not struggling to get by, we have a savings account.  We have simply made a choice to tighten our belts to get rid of this debt as fast as possible.  I am a better sprinter than a long distance runner.  My younger brother told me something that I will always remember.  The Wood family likes to rip the band-aid off, rather than to slowly pull at it for a while.  TMI

THE END.

7 comments:

Leslie said...

I love the picture of your kids. I am impressed at how frugal Taeg is. If its any consolation we may have even less money to our names than you. Its good for us though.

jessica said...

I love that your cooking skills are as good as mine. Clearly our talents lie elsewhere...your kids are adorable and that is worth way more than $3.45.

Travis said...

So uh...where's Taeg' taking us for dinner tonight?

Teresa's Neighbor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shelly said...

So next time Tate won't eat his food, we'll say, "There are starving children in Eugene!"

doodooguru said...

No Shelly, just say: "you should be grateful your aunt Melissa is not cooking for ya".

Teresa's Neighbor, Taeg's frugality is interesting because she doesn't have any problem spending your $. I will be glad to help Diane spent hers and she can call me whatever she likes!

Bre said...

I read somewhere that kids that skip the crawling stage have problems later in life so I bet Langdon's long crawling stage means he'll be advanced at everything later in life! And your dinner made me laugh, it sounds like what we had the other night...rice and a can of green beans. It's food, we were no longer hungry, it counts as a meal.

Post a Comment