Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Taegan! [Updated]

I have found myself saying that name a lot lately. And not in hushed reverent tones either.

Taegan! has needed a place to hang her little treasures. I came up with this:





I put the letters of her name up because she is learning to spell her name. So many people mispronounce (tay-gan) it or spell it wrong that I figured I would teach her to spell it and she can correct them if she chooses. So far, Karsten and probably even Langdon know how to spell it but Taegan! just can't figure out why it is such an important thing to know. Maybe the letters will help her, because she loves to look at them.
This is the first time I have used modge podge. I don't hate the stuff, but I might if I am forced to get in touch with my crafty side again.


Don't thumb-your-nose at my craftiness. This was the only thing that I could come up with that fit the space. She likes it and I can see my fridge again, so I like it!


UPDATE:
OK, due to popular demand (I can think of one person off the top of my head) I will explain how I made this.

My first priority was cost. I didn't want to spend any money and I had seen something like this last summer on someone's blog and thought it was clever, but couldn't find it again when I wanted to make one. So, this is my version of someone else's idea that I couldn't remember!

I measured Taegan's! space between the dresser and the corner. I believe it was less then 3' more like 33" so I went into the garage and looked at the wood I had laying around and I found a 8' x 1" x 2". I then grabbed some clothes pins and realized I no likie with the skinny board, but I was so lazy and didn't want to break out the table saw to make a wider board with some other wood I had (our garage has been clean for months, Langdon was in the garage with me and I just didn't feel like holding a baby while dust was blowing in our faces), so I made a mental note to look for mini clothes pins. Two months later, I remembered to look for mini clothes pins and they were right next to some Modge Podge. A crafty friend of mine has been telling be about Modge Podge (it is just CRAFTY GLUE) so I grabbed both, not intending to use it for this project at all. Total cost for glue and pins under $2.

I laid out the mini clothes pins on the two 33" boards and spaced them out with my eyeballs, alternated them up/down/up, took the springy out, glue them on with wood glue and painted both white. I then painted my hands white while trying to paint the other half of the clothes pins. After everything dried I put the springy thing back on the glued half and then attached the other side of the clothes pins. The next morning, after finding the stud locations, I slapped them on the wall using my nail gun.

Taegan! put her treasures in it and was happy as a clam for about 30 seconds. Then she said that they didn't look that cute and she wished they were pink. I just couldn't bring myself to pull them off the wall and paint my hands pink, that is when I remembered the crafty glue. I always read blogs with people doing crafty stuff with wood, vinyl letters, scrapbook paper and modge podge and figured it was my chance to prove to my daughter that it didn't need to be painted pink to be cute! I found some wrapping paper with polka dots in our bin and cut out little strips to fit on the top of the clothes pins. Coated each pin with crafty glue, pressed on the paper, let dry, more glue, dry, glue, dry, glue, dry, very light sand around the edge of paper, glue, dry, glue. TA-DA. Yesterday, Taegan! told me thanks and that she loved it! Well worth the $2.

8 comments:

shelly said...

love it and will soon be copying it =)

Jenny Erazo said...

so cute!

A-Train said...

I am quite impressed. I don't even know what modge podge is--you need to teach me, because it's stinkin' cute and I just might have to make one to take up the long bare wall in Lydia's room.

And to answer the allergy question from my blog, yes, my allergies are way worse here. I used to just get them every now and then but it's been 3-4 weeks of feeling like i need to blow my nose every 10 minutes but there's nothing there--just my swollen nasal passages and red eyes. I hope you never develop them!

Teresa's Neighbor said...

Such interesting treasures. What's the fabric thing on the bottom row?

Travis said...

@Teresa's Neighbor:

According to the coworker who gifted it to me after vacationing in Nicaragua -- it's a hand-woven scarf.

To Taeg', however, it's a magic carpet, a conveyance for her "kids" (stuffed animals), and a karate belt. She finds new uses for it on a daily basis -- hence its status as a "treasure."

Jean McKendrick said...

I think it's really cute Melissa! Kai's papers go on his dresser until I get tired of looking at them then they go in the trash. I am lucky if the kids don't find them and dig them out again.

Leslie said...

I like this. Very nice job Melissa I think I will steal the idea. Except I don't know anything about modge podge.

Robinson Jr. said...

You are hilarious! This may have cost you only $2 but you put like 50x more work into it than I could have. You always make your projects sound so easy. FYI it makes people like me look bad, so could you at least pretend it's somewhat difficult?

Post a Comment