Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Signs

Karsten and Taegan have different artistic styles.  Karsten's preferred medium is a No. 2 pencil sharpened to fine point.  His work appears to be inspired by Picasso's synthetic cubism.  Taeggy, on the other hand, deals almost exclusively in colors.  She does not stay in the lines.  She's an impressionist like Monet.

The two disparate styles collaborated a couple weeks ago to produce a gift for Melissa on Mother's Day.
Family Portrait
pencil and crayon on 20 pound bond paper

The discerning eye can make out Karst's inscription "Happy Mothers Day" on the upper right.  Karsten will begin kindergarten this Fall with a pretty solid grasp of the English alphabet.  I came home the other day to find this taped to his bedroom door...
"WARNING MOM AND DAD KAN NOT COME IN"

I reminded the boy that he is merely a tenant living rent-free in his parents' home.  "You still can't come in" he retorted.  What if the house is burning down?  Am I allowed to come in and rescue him?

"No, I'll get myself out."

What if the house is burning down and both of the boy's legs are broken?

"I'll hop," he replied.

His sign-making skills have not been without their advantages.  This sign recently appeared unannounced on our bedroom door...
?!

That's an interesting sign, Karst.  Um, what is it?

"It's a bear.  This sign tells them to stay out of your room."

Apparently, despite their fearsome reputation, wild bears are quite fastidious about obeying prohibition signs superimposed over their own likeness.  I know this to be true because with this sign on my door -- I've yet to observe a single bear in my room.

If bedroom bear attacks are a problem for you, then please print this out and tape it to your bedroom door right away.  It will give you peace of mind in a world full of intrusive hungry bears.

Hopefully the bears won't get in Karst's way in the event his broken legs force him to hop unassisted out of our burning home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are the coolest signs!

shelly said...

That's an awesome bear

Jenny Erazo said...

your family makes me smile:)

Teresa's Neighbor said...

I'd like to put in an order for a sign barring electricity outages.

Laurie said...

That is the coolest bear I've ever seen! If I weren't too lazy to get the printer out of the closet and hook it up to the computer I would totally be printing one out for every door in our house. However, if he makes one for slugs, I'll be all over that!

Post a Comment