
So last weekend we went to Portland to enjoy the Crowded House concert. Travis and I have never been to a concert together. Actually, the last concert I attended was Heavy D and the Boyz when I was still a teenager. Yes, I know you are all jealous that I was that cool.
But all I remember from that night was thinking "This music is loud and I can't even understand the words and I know this music" and "Is that guy really going to do that?! Is he drunk?"
I admit that I have not followed Crowded House since 1987 and I still cannot name one of their songs, but last Thursday's concert was very enjoyable. As Travis and I reached Portland, we realized why we love Eugene. Holy traffic in all directions! Travis and I were introduced to the HOV lane (that lasted for .01 miles) by a nice police officer that politely told us that he would have given us a ticket just for thinking about going into that lane without the appropriate number of people in our car (2 or more). Whatever.
Thanks to the traffic we arrived just as the warm up band was ending, yay! We found a nice comfy spot on the grassy knoll and had just enough time to look around and notice that there where a lot of families in attendance. Kids of all ages were everywhere and the band recognized this right away. Not even 15 minutes into the concert, lead singer Neil volunteered the frizzy haired drummer (Matt, I believe) to challenge any child 12 or under to a "foot race" around the stadium. Now I can't say for sure, but I don't think Heavy D or his Boyz would have done that!
Edgefield Amphitheater is a beautiful area, the band was personable, the people were polite, and the guy sitting with me on my Sesame Street blanket was warm. Before we left we tried to plan the next time we would come back, but next on the Amphitheater docket was Chicago or Willy Nelson...not going to happen.
Edgefield Amphitheater is a beautiful area, the band was personable, the people were polite, and the guy sitting with me on my Sesame Street blanket was warm. Before we left we tried to plan the next time we would come back, but next on the Amphitheater docket was Chicago or Willy Nelson...not going to happen.
We spent the rest of the weekend in Pendleton, kicking it with Great Grandma Lorene, checking out my brother Jeff's new place in the boonies, and cutting and freezing corn with my Daddio. I seriously don't believe one could fit more things or driving time into four days, but no pictures for you!
(Photos from crowdedhouse.com)

8 comments:
WOW! busy weekend but sounded like you guys had a great time.. Heavy D? LOL when was that? I don't remember us listening to Heavy D.. lol Miss you girl~
Now that we've found the HOV lane, what are we gonna do...with it. I think that cop would have asked us to step out of the car if you'd been blastin' Heavy D.
I'm glad you enjoyed the concert. I've always heard that Crowded House enjoys engaging the audience, but I wasn't expecting the 100 kid dash -- that was awesome!
BTW, my last concert: Wynton Marsalis back when I was a freshman at BYU. My buddies and I snuck backstage afterwards to meet him and his band. He's no Heavy D (but really, who is?), but I've been a fan ever since.
Not counting Round-up, my last concert was the Fifth Dimension at BYU. I kept my hands over my swollen belly because I was afraid it was going to hurt unborn Travis' ears. Your hearing is okay, right?
My hearing's fine, mother, but I have recurring nightmares about the dawning of The Age of Aquarius.
First of all...YAY for new pictures!!! Aric and I are huge concert go-ers. We try to go to a couple every year. Ampitheaters are the best! So I was in Ptown last weeked....I didn't see you! Are you guys inactive or something?
The ONLY concert I've been to is Chicago when I was still too young to drive! That one was actually pretty mellow. :) Glad you guys had a good time! I hear ya on the traffic, it's horrible here. I do all my running around early but not too early so I don't have to compete with all of it.
@ Reader. Heavy D was during my rebellious year (between high school and college) maybe that is why it was only for a short time. I seriously can not listen to that music for very long without getting a headache.
@ Jess. 3 words... 1st ward rocks. Well until the schedule change next year at least!
I like you family picture. All of you look great.
I think my last concert was George Stait or something like that. I believe Nathan went to an AC/DC concert way back when. I know he liked Van Halen too. Are they the same I can't remember?
Post a Comment