Tony and Bre joined us yesterday evening to watch the latest Batman movie: The Dark Knight. I'd read the reviews saying it was a pretty dark, intense movie -- and I now agree. Superhero movies generally follow the principle established in Star Trek -- Kirk, Spock, and Bones often face terrifying peril, but only the no-name crewmen in red shirts actually get killed. In The Dark Knight, don't expect someone to emerge unscathed simply because they are a main character. By the final hour of the movie, I had no expectations about who was getting out alive -- the peril was capable of touching anyone.That said, the movie was highly entertaining. I'm not a Heath Ledger fan, but I have to agree that his portrayal of The Joker was outstanding. He was not a cartoonish villain who wanted to rule the world -- instead, he was a scheming psychopath who just wanted to see the world burn.
During the movie, Bre recalled that Batman drew his name from his greatest childhood fear. She suggested that if she did likewise, her superhero name would be "Snake Woman." Melis' said she fears being startled, so her moniker would be "Sneak-Up Woman." My worst nightmares generally involve fleeing something both unseen and terrifying. For some reason, I am only capable of running in slow motion. I guess that makes me "Paranoid Slow Man" -- which probably wouldn't earn me much superhero cred in the Hall of Justice.
Please leave me your superhero name in the comments section.
7 comments:
Hands down "Spider Woman". Eric says I would be "Bridge Woman". So, it could go either way, really. Eric has no comment, so apparently he's not scared of anything. But just between you and me (hee hee) he jumped up in bed and swore when a car backfired in the parking lot in the wee hours of the morning. "Car Backfiring Man!"
Have you seen "Horton Hears a Who"? Way awesomer than Batman dark scary movie.
Ok, so spider person is already taken. I'm afraid of heights so does that make me "really high up in the air man"? Ashley told me she's always been afraid of looking out the window at night because someone might pop up from the other side and scare her. So she's "nighttime window popping up woman".
As a kid I always feared the alligator under my bed so I would be "gator-woman". Hey, that's kind of cool sounding, I'm going to go get a new name tag. Brooklyn next door told me she would be "milkless boob woman".
I would have to say mine would be "deep-water-woman". I don't like the thought drowning so you won't find me on any cruise ship ever. I found the movie Perfect Storm very disturbing.
OK so I'm with Tyler on the heights thing. I'm gonna go with "Gravity hating woman". When Dave and I were first dating we went on a hike in Hawaii. We decided to scale this steep but not so high cliff. I made it up but no way was I going back down. So we had to find another way down which we really needed a machete (SP?) for. We did make it back eventually and he STILL married me!!
Since paranoia runs in my family, It's hard to pick only one. (Besides the usual heights, spiders, creepy looking bugs, moving too fast, talking too loud in movie theaters, being late, ugly feet, etc. You know the norm.)I pick FearWoman, who fears exposing all her ridiculous phobias in public. (oops.)
The only thing I've noticed that Keith is afraid of is of the kids getting cold. So does that translate to ColdKids Man?
Well, I don't know how much a hero I would make as "Dark Man." You people would be all fighting your bad guys and I would show up and *POW* the lights go out...
"Hey, who turned out the lights!?"
"Turn them back on!!!"
"I can't see!"
Post a Comment