Saturday, April 25, 2009

Spencer Butte (and mini-marshmallows)

One of the things we enjoy about our neighborhood is its proximity to Eugene's iconic Spencer Butte. The trailhead to the summit is just a few minutes walk from our home.

It's been a couple years since we've been to the top, and Melissa has been lobbying us for quite awhile to attempt another ascent. The kids were on board as soon as Melis' promised them a zip-lock bag full of mini-marshmallows if they could make it to the top. Everyone has their price apparently.

This morning we set out with all the necessary gear: trail shoes, hoodies, fruit snacks, granola bars, water bottles, and (of course) a baggie full of mini-marshmallows. The weather was perfect for hiking -- overcast, with a cool breeze. The whole trip took less than two hours and was a lot of fun. Taeg' made it a couple hundred yards before requesting to ride in her parents' child carrier backpack. I took her up. Melis' carried her down. To his credit, Karst' made the whole hike unassisted.

Here are some photos we snapped along the way...


Mom's mini-marshmallow mercenaries on the trail

Karst' pauses in front of the famous flexing fir

Mini-marshmallows for all!

3 comments:

shelly said...

I'm putting that on the agenda for beach-trip week. I want to climb. But, I want four hours to do it and a baggy full of chocolate!

Jean McKendrick said...

What a fun hike, beautiful too. My kids really like to "hike", ours are on a bit more flat land though. :)

Niki said...

We're often nostalgic about that hike and the other great ones around there--so close to home! I'm proud of your little guys.

Post a Comment