Melis' and I discussed the Backstreet Boys' rendition of the national anthem at Game 1 of the World Series last night in Tampa. I thought it sucked, like everything else performed by the Backstreet Boys.
I told Melis' that if asked, I would perform it straight up. No vocal flourishes or hip-hop doo-wop.
Melis' said if she was asked to perform it, she would politely decline.
Question: How would you perform the national anthem?
______
Update: Patti LaBelle's rendition in Game 4? Ugh. She made the Backstreet Boys look understated in comparison.
3 comments:
I'm a straight up girl, but I'm not against one well-done different part. That adds some interest, if done well, but you want the anthem to still be recognizable. I believe Ty and Bre have both heard me practicing up in the shower (at g-pa Stoddard's for instance), and would attest that the national anthem committee people will be knocking at my door any day now!
Eric's response is, "uhh, no thank you." I think he (Trav) should listen to his wife.
Maybe if they're looking for something different they will ask you, Shelly (at least the little kid you that used to sing it in the shower). If they asked me, I'd quickly call Jordin Sparks and have her take my place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGQfHIfSWK0
That's how it's done.
Post a Comment