Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Travis the (very) casual baseball fan
September 17, 2007.
That was the last time I watched a complete major league baseball game. The Phillies beat the Cardinals 13-11. The Cards fell way behind early; they didn't even score a run until the 6th inning. If I had been at home, I would have changed the channel. But I was actually watching the game in Busch Stadium, Section 235, Row 3, Seat 20. The Cards made it exciting in the end, nearly becoming the first team in history to come back from an 11-run deficit.
Discounting my evening in St. Louis, I have had only inadvertent contact with the sport (i.e. I tune to Fox expecting to find the Simpsons, only to find a baseball game?! Doh!). But my apathy has apparently cost me the opportunity to witness a wonderful story.
The Tampa Bay Devil Ra..., er, I mean the RAYS, are one win away from going to the World Series for the first time in franchise history. You may think, "They got rid of the Devil -- of course things are going better for them." But their success is attributable to more than simply cutting ties to Satan. Based on my casual half-listening to sports talk radio, the Rays have been joined by Desperate Housewife Eva Longoria, and she has been hitting homeruns like crazy. Here's the story (Though they obviously messed up the photo -- that's definitely not Eva).
Good for her, I say.
No comments:
Post a Comment