Friday, August 7, 2009

(Un)Sound Financial Advice

Recently, my children presented me with the following proposal: in exchange for being "good" all day, they would each receive a shiny penny. They no longer wished to be good for nothing. I agreed to their terms.

Before long, their business plan paid off and they quickly accumulated several pennies. When Taeg' showed me her profits, I suggested that she find a safe place to keep her money. "Under the cushions!" she beamed, quickly lifting up a seat cushion on the living room sofa and carefully depositing her coins. I tried to explain that the interest her money would accrue under the seat cushion would be negligible. But 2-year-old's don't care about compound interest -- they just want to keep their assets liquid and readily accessible.

Today I learned where the kids have directed their revenue stream -- salt water taffy.

I accompanied them to the candy store during my lunch hour. I handed Karst' a basket and told them they had sufficient funds for 8 taffies. After some deliberation, they reached their quota. The boy tentatively approached the cashier by himself and carefully handed over his basket of goods. The cashier rang up his total -- .96¢ -- whereupon Karst' silently reached into his pocket and emptied the contents onto the counter. Four quarters and a dime. Upon receiving his taffies and his change, Karst' glanced at the coins and smiled. "Yes! I'm rich again!"

In these economically uncertain times, it's nice to know that my children are so financially savvy.

4 comments:

shelly said...

Okay, that's really cute, but I must point out an error. Everybody knows that money accumulates interest under couch cushions. Don't ask me how it works, but there's always a big load under there. Speaking of which, I should check ours. So it seems, little Taeg knows exactly what she's doing!

Jean McKendrick said...

Good to know your children are rich and can support you in your old age! :)

The Cottle Family said...

That is so funny, I made Mason a bank with a canning jar and my scrapbook paper techniques, and when I go to Garage Sales on the weekend he takes his money with him to buy dinosaurs. April

Unknown said...

I'm going to propose that Tyler begin paying me a penny per day if I behave myself. And next time I come to Eugene, I want to go to that candy store to spend my hard-earned funds! Karst' and Taeg' can show me the good kinds :)

Post a Comment