The kids demand that we record every episode so they can watch it at their leisure (which is surprisingly often). The premise of the show is simple: watch people go through exhausting obstacle courses specifically designed to make them look ridiculous. The fastest times move on to the next round and compete to win $50,000. A couple of guys both named John add funny commentary throughout the competition.
You'd think that the show would get a little tired after presenting this...
and this...
followed by this...
...every single week. But for some reason we continue to tune in and continue to laugh out loud.I recently suggested to Melis' that we go on the show and compete. After all, we both played sports back in the day and we have (mostly) maintained our sanity while raising three active children -- how hard could it be to defeat something called "the beater-totter" or "the crazy sweeper." She was not very enthusiastic.
On a whim, I checked out the casting requirements for the show. At the top of the list: "You don't need to be an athlete to participate." Yeah, yeah, we know they like to use flabby people because they look particularly hilarious when they wipe out. I'd be a serious contestant with an athletic physique (stop laughing, I've got Phil Mickelson abs -- he's totally an athlete!).
According to the show's website, the rest of the requirements are:
• MEN AND WOMEN over 18 years of age. [good to know I won't be competing against young children or chimpanzees, I'd feel kind of bad pushing them aside on my way to victory]
• Legal residents of the U.S. [sorry illegals, only American citizens are allowed to look this ridiculous]
• Must be able to swim. [unless you are a serious contestant that has never, ever wiped out...and never will...ever]
• Fun, strong-willed, outgoing, and have a great sense of humor. [If you give me $50,000, I'll be all of those things...a lot]
Maybe I'm just trying to reclaim faded glory (ah, high school golf team...those were the days), but I really do think it would be fun to be on the show. In the mean time, however, I'm content to spend my summer watching it with Melis' and the kids from the comfort of our reclining sofa.





5 comments:
We've been religious watchers of Wipe-Out since day 1. No explanation needed. It's the best show on tv.
My friends and I have discussed being contestants and concluded that we just want to rent the place for a big party.
Tate saw it for the first time and the next day he was jumping off me (on the couch) onto the couch cushion he'd placed on the floor. The flair with which he flung his arms made me think he was reenacting the show. Anyway, I love that you're fans and that the kids watch it repeatedly =)
We LOVE that show at our house! I think it would make it way more fun if I could tell me kids that I knew a contestant! You should totally audition:)
Matt watched that show when it was the Japanese people doing it years ago (don't know if they still do it or not). My kids totally discovered Wipeout this past week and Kaden has asked me several times to watch it. I was hoping it would be on demand since their bed time is 8 and that's when it comes on. No such luck. Guess I could record it for them.
That's sooo funny! Adam and I just started watching that too and I had the same thought about how fun it would be to participate...
Yeah we are big fans too...the girl's set up a wipe out course in the basement over Christmas break. It included air mattresses, life jackets, beach balls and lots of pillows. Fun FHE activity don't ya think ;)
Post a Comment