Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What would you do for your dog?

I saw this story yesterday out of Florida -- Greg LeNoir saw his rat terrier, Jake, being attacked by a shark and decided to intervene:
''I clenched my fists and dove straight in with all my strength, like a battering ram,'' LeNoir, 53, said Sunday, reliving the frightening ordeal. ``I hit the back of the shark's neck. It was like hitting concrete.'' ....

Lenoir added: 'We have no children. Jake became our child. When I saw the shark engulf him, I thought, `This can't be the end.' ''
Discussing this matter with some friends last night, I conceded that I would have just averted my eyes and let Jake become fish food. You see, one reason I'm a "cat person" is that they generally don't get into situations that require me to beat up a shark.

My friend grew silent and then, while gently stroking her chihuahua, solemnly declared, "Oh, I'd jump in and save my dog."


Question for Mom (or anyone else): would you face down a shark to save Herbie?

4 comments:

shelly said...

Wow. I am a cat person all the way. I'm in no way brave enough to risk my life for a pet. Sorry little pets! That's an amazing story, but what if it had ended differently? Too scary.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I would save Herbie, but most likely I would save Talbot or Bandit, our dogs!

Our alpacas? YOU BET!!

Our horse? Probably

A cat? Nope, I'd let the shark enjoy it's meal in peace. :)

Bil

The Cottle Family said...

Dog, cat, fish, rat... they'd all be shark food to me.

Teresa's Neighbor said...

I would need to know my motivation for having him swim with sharks. Am I annoyed with him? Are we in a fight?

Post a Comment